Saturday 11 March 2017

The Tale of the Prodigal Cat

So I got a kitty... Meet Jess, affectionately known as Cat:
I tried explaining Postman Pat to my Zambian friends, they really didn't get it! 

My neighbour's cat had kittens that she didn't want so three of us took them in so they wouldn't go hungry. I've never had a cat before and was a bit skeptical about the whole thing. She's very needy and poos a lot (luckily in a make-shift litter tray) but makes up for it by being adorably cute and super affectionate. 

Last weekend she disappeared on Friday evening. By Monday she still hadn't turned up and I was getting worried. I was surprised how attached I'd got since I'd been a bit unsure about having her in the first place. I asked round the whole compound but whilst there were a few unreliable leads (mostly from alcoholics and children), no cat materialised. I was beginning to think she'd gone the same way as Martha and White Phiri (medicine James' kitten who'd gone missing a few weeks ago). Then on Tuesday I asked Benson and he told everyone he saw to look out for her. He knows EVERYONE so that was a lot of people! That afternoon some boys who play with my basketball knocked on the door with a rucksack saying they'd caught a cat. I was expecting them to have just picked up some random cat, but they opened the rucksack and there was Jess! 
Helping me study... All my notes have muddy paw prints on now!

I'm very pleased to have her home =)

No comments:

Post a Comment